BIM in Healthcare Infrastructure explores the application and implementation of BIM technology in the planning, design and construction of healthcare infrastructure. Incorporating BIM within an internationally-applicable healthcare infrastructure framework, this reference guide expounds the broader context and key challenges present.
It encompasses the advantageous nature of BIM implementation, encouraging it to become a shared knowledge resource to support decision-making throughout the building cycle from conception and design to construction. Implementation of BIM increases understanding, improves utilisation and reduces duplication in characteristics of building thus leading to organisational efficiency, better staff and patient outcomes and dramatic cost savings.
This book navigates the key challenges to implementing BIM in the healthcare sector, such as motivating and training staff, overcoming resistance to change and developing the business case. The larger obstacles to implementing BIM are also discussed, including lack of suitable legal framework, culture within the construction industry and lack of appropriate investment in BIM software.
BIM in Healthcare Infrastructure:
- Provides a reference for all those concerned with improving the quality of the healthcare environment, leading to zero carbon healthcare facilities that have a positive effect of staff and patient health
- Offers readers a concise definition for BIM and highlights key concepts such as BIM capability, BIM Maturity and the COBIE format
- Equips readers with a history of BIM, 3 D CAD and BIM Models
- Delivers context for the financial benefits of adopting BIM principles as seen by participants in the process of designing, constructing and refurbishing buildings
- Uses practical examples to illustrate how the appropriate use of BIM in healthcare infrastructure construction projects can improve time- and cost-effectiveness
- Details the key challenges of adopting BIM principles through the inclusion of international case studies, both healthcare industry specific and generically-applicable
- Provides a reference for all those concerned with improving the quality of the healthcare environment, leading to zero carbon healthcare facilities that have a positive effect of staff and patient health use of BIM in healthcare
BIM in Healthcare Infrastructure proves an essential resource for all architects, planners, engineers, clients, healthcare providers, government agencies and other professionals. For those involved in planning, developing and maintaining healthcare infrastructure and concerned with improving the quality of the healthcare environment now and in the future, this attests as an excellent reference guide.